Feed on
Posts
Comments

Wild mushroom tarts

In case you weren’t tipped off by last week’s k-mart catalogue shouting ‘last minute gifts for mum‘, the Sunday just past was Mothers’ Day. We decided to celebrate by having a big family feast, cooked by the cousins for the mothers.

My favourite dish of the day was wild mushroom and shallot tarts. This was inspired by a recipe in Guy Grossi’s Grossi Florentino: Secrets and Recipes. I changed the quantities a fair bit though, as I found they didn’t quite work for me.

My lovely cousin C made the tart shells with a savoury shortcrust pastry. She rolled the pastry out to about 3 millimetres thick and then cut it with round cookie cutters. She then pressed them into small buttered and floured tins. After that, they were blind baked for about 10 minutes. Et voilà:

Savoury tart shells

My job was to make the filling. We had picked up some absolutely gorgeous wild mushrooms from the Collingwood farmers’ market on the Saturday. We had slippery jacks, pine/saffron milk caps and field mushrooms. (Some pictures here.) I love the slippery jacks, especially. I love the name, the taste, and the spongy yellow spores. C said that they looked like coral.

chopped wild mushrooms

It took me a while to clean the mushrooms up as they were a little muddy. I wiped them with paper towel because washing mushrooms with water makes them waterlogged and slimy. I peeled away some of the extra-dirty parts so that we didn’t end up with gritty tarts. Don’t think mum would like that.

This is how I made the filling:

Ingredients
500g mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
200g shallots, peeled but left whole
125mL chicken stock (or vegetable)
2 tbs mixed herbs, chopped VERY finely (oregano, rosemary, sage etc.)
olive oil
salt & pepper
goats cheese (we used holy goat, also from the market)

• Heat about 50mL of olive oil in a small saucepan on medium-low. Add the shallots. Stir them constantly for about 5 minutes until they gently brown and break up. Add the chicken stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
  • Heat up about 50mL olive oil in a separate, larger, frypan. Add the mushrooms, herbs, and shallot mixture. Fry for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are as you like them. Season generously with salt and pepper.

cooking wild mushrooms

• Reheat the tart shells for about three minutes in a hot oven.
  • Spoon the warm mushroom mixture into the hot tart shells. Sprinkle with goats cheese and enjoy.

This makes about 25 tarts of assorted sizes. Just enough for a little party…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Did you like this? Share it:

10 Responses to “Mothers’ Day Feast: Wild mushroom tarts”

1. Annabelle Wilson says:

Hey Sas!
    I’m just reading this post during my spare and I thought I had to say something because these tarts were SOOOOO GOOD!! I loved the beautiful balance of flavors both in the pastry and in the mushrooms. It’s funny as I have never been a big fan of mushrooms in the past but over the past couple of years I have really grown a liking for them. My love of them extends much past that of the horrid button variety you can purchase in the supermarket but to some of the really interesting ones you can buy. Did you see in the Epicure today there was an article on Wild Mushrooms??
    Since my “new” likening to mushrooms mum and I have made quite a few mushroom risotto’s, there is a really nice asian shop in Geelong that sells lots of interesting varieties.
    So for anyone who is further reading this I can definitely assure you that these tarts were AWESOME!
    Annabelle xx

• Saskia says:

Thanks Annabelle! Yes, I agree. Mushrooms can be something that seem scary but when cooked perfectly they are SO good! I was inspired by both you and the comment below to make a mushroom risotto last night for dinner. Sadly I had run out of the interesting varieties but it was still good! Next time you’re in Melbourne I’ll have to take you to the Collingwood farmer’s market. You would love it x

2. Anna says:

Oh gosh! I went to the Abbbotsford Farmers Market on Saturday too, bought those exact same large orange (saffron delicious) mushrooms AND cooked them for a Mother’s Day Feast on Sunday! I made them into a mushroom risotto. Also got some delicious broccoli from the market that I served with homemade aioli and made a rhubarb crumble with ‘Di’s Rhubarb’ (the best!). A whole delicious dinner with farmers market delights! I can hardly wait another fortnight to go again…

• Saskia says:

Thanks Anna! I wonder how many Melbourne mums got mushrooms on Sunday?! (Lucky them…)

Di’s rhubarb is fantastic. I’ve been dreaming of making a rhubarb clafoutis lately – I’ll have to make sure I pick some up next time the market comes to town.

3. Anna says:

Hi Saskia!

Di’s little rhubarb tarts are awesome too! I love the market! I can hardly wait for it to come back (last time was my first time!).

🙂

Anna

4. I absolutely love mushroom tart. It’s my favourite among all the savoury ones.

5. Jenna says:

Hi Saskia,

Do you mind telling me which collingwood’s farmers market it was? There are different markets at abbortsford convent on all 4 saturdays of each month and I’m not really sure which market I have to go to get these produce. Please please =)

Jenna

• Saskia says:

Isn’t that funny that there are so many markets now!? I got these mushies at the Collingwood Children’s Farm Market. I don’t think the mushrooms would be in season at this time of year though – you might have to wait until next Autumn. There might be some other varieties around though.

Another tip – I made some mushroom soup with dry sherry a few months ago, which was excellent. I think a dash of dry sherry would be a tasty addition to these tarts too!

• Jenna says:

Thanks for your reply Saskia =)) looks like I’ll have to wait till next year to get my hands on those mushrooms…did you see any truffles by the way? on a side note, I’m hoping that the market would have zucchini flowers.. I’ve been looking high and low for them =D

Thanks for the dry sherry tip! I’ll try it first with normal button and swiss mushrooms teehee..

• Saskia says:

I think you’ll have to wait until Summer for those zucchini flowers. Unfortunately mother nature likes to do things in her own time!

I didn’t see any truffles…google might be able to help you locate some of them!