This lovely tagine formed the substantial part of our vegetarian Mezze.
The method for making this tagine is a little unusual – first you make the sauce, then roast/fry the vegetables and combine. Nonetheless, this is seriously tasty and great for a crowd. It also can be made ahead of time – it gets tastier.
Making the sauce
First step was to get all the spices together – coriander, cumin, caraway seeds, allspice, sweet paprika, chilli powder and ginger:
Fry up the onion and garlic and then add the spices in and cook for 2 minutes:
Next, add the tomatoes, honey and water:
Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 45 minutes – it gets all thick and tasty:
Roast the pumpkin in the oven until it is soft but not coloured:
Meanwhile, cut the zucchini and eggplant into little chunks. Cover in salt and leave to drain for 15 minutes (this gets rid of any bitterness). Wash the salt off, then fry them in batches until dark all over.
Add the vegetables, chickpeas and olives to the sauce, stir to combine. Serve with coriander on top and couscous, rice or quinoa on the side:
100ml olive oil
2 onions – diced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed with salt
1 lge tbs coriander seeds
1 lge tbs cumin seeds
1 lge tbs caraway seeds
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ginger powder
2 x 400g tins of tomatoes
6 long green chillies, whole (I forgot to buy these so omitted them and added extra chilli powder instead)
1 tbs honey
- Fry onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Crush the coriander, cumin and caraway seeds. Remove the husks. Mix with other spices.
- Add spices to garlic and onion and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chillies, honey and water.
- Bring to the boil, simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
1 kg pumpkin
2 small eggplant
2 small zucchini
1 x 400g can of chickpeas (drained weight, 240g)
100g pitted black olives
handful of coriander, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Cut pumpkin into small pieces and roast until cooked but not coloured (about 15 minutes).
- Cut eggplant and zucchini into small pieces, cover in salt and put them in a colander in the sink to drain.
- Wash and dry the eggplant and zucchini and fry in batches until dark all over.
To finish, add vegies, chickpeas and olives to the sauce. Serve with coriander on top.